Sunday, December 21, 2008

Pursuing the Dream!!

I think that everyone who knows me well, knows that I have wanted to go into Studio Recording since I had gotten home from my mission. The problem has been that the places that I found at the time that provided the education were all out of state, and mostly at either high-end Music Schools (Berklee College of Music, etc.) or at Technical Schools (SAE, Full Sail, etc.) and the tuition was out of reach (Try between 20-60k for their programs and most of them just gave you a certificate of completion). It wasn't till later, that I had found out that BYU had a Sound and Recording Technology Program. But by then, I had a job here, and other obligations, that prevented me from pursuing it at the time.

Every step I have tried to make though, has tried to be in the direction of having a Studio sooner or later, and hopefully turining that into my career.

I had pursued it a little last year, around August, started taking Saxophone lessons to be able to get into the school of music, and started my application for BYU, but a job opportunity that we thought we couldn't pass up, put that on hold for a little while.

Well, I am back on the horse again, some recent changes have given us an opening to start focusing on getting that education to do what my passion is! I am WAY stoked, a little nervous, but very excited to get things moving along. I have started Saxophone Lessons from a teacher that I know I will benefit a TON from (He fixes Ray Smith's Saxophones (www.davidhallmusic.com)), and Misty is pushing me to get up to speed, and being so supportive of me reaching my goals and dreams!

I have most of my BYU application completed so far, and just have the Stake Presidency part of the Ecclesiastical Endorsement to complete. (I have that appointment set up for next Sunday)
I need to double check my application into the Actual School of Music where the program is hosted, to see if all the online stuff for that is done, but I think that that is, and then all I have left to do is bust my chops on my Saxophone to get ready for the audition!

They have the auditions for the School of Music the last Saturday in January, and so I have VERY little time to get prepared the way that I would like to, but Misty and I don't want to have to wait for another year to get into the program.

There will be a lot of decisions to make regarding other areas of our life if I get accepted this January, but at least we will have till August to make things finalized. But for now, it's full steam ahead!

Wish us Luck!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Best of luck with your audition Phil! You've always been very talented on the sax and I'm sure you'll blow them away.

Cassie said...

I wish you the best of luck!! May all your wishes and dreams come true.

Camille said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do wonderfully in your audition. I'm so glad you have the opportunity to go for your dreams!

Angie Berrio said...

We are sending our vibes to you. Best of luck!