Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Last day of work

Hello all! This is Misty, and this is my very first post. All of the others have been done by my computer literate husband. He is much better with these contraptions than I am, but I thought that I might take a stab at this blogging thing.

Today is my last day at work!!!! I am very excited to not have to sit through boring trainings, on uncomfortable chairs anymore. I am also very happy that I will be able to relax and take it easy for the next couple of weeks til the baby comes. I have loved working at Head Start. It has been a very rewarding job. The children I taught really touched my life, and I really miss them. School got out at the end of May. It's hard to get so attached to a child and then say goodbye, knowing that you may never see them again. Since school got out, we have just been doing trainings. YUCK!! The trainings would have been very helpful if I was coming back, but I'm not.

I kind of worry about not having a job. I have been a full time employee for so long, that I am worried that, in quitting, I will be missing part of my identity. What will I do when I no longer get a the positive affirmation of a paycheck for the work I do?

Even though these things worry me, and I may miss working, I know that my baby needs me. I know that the place I need to be is home with my child. I am so excited to be a mommy! I am amazed by the love that I already feel for this baby, and only expect that love to grow and flourish when he gets here. He is the second greatest blessing I have ever been given (Phil being the first). I have never felt the love of my Heavenly Father stronger than when he blessed us with this child. I just pray that I will be able to live up to the responsibility and challenge of motherhood. I pray that I can raise him the way that I should. He is such a special child that he deserves the best parent.

4 comments:

Amanda Fullerton said...

You're getting SO close, Misty! I remember the last few weeks of my pregnancies, and no matter how uncomfortable you are, try your hardest to enjoy them. They are precious weeks that you will miss once your baby is in your arms (strange to hear that, but it will happen).

"What will I do when I no longer get the positive affirmation of a paycheck for the work I do?"
You will get the positive affirmation of wages, it just won't be monitarily. Those wages will come from smiles, laughs, coos, hugs and kisses and later "I love you"s from your beautiful child. :) Don't worry about losing part of your identity. You can still be Misty, you'll just be baby Burnett's mommy, too.

Tiffany said...

I left work when my first baby was 9 months old and I really struggled with it. I felt that I wasn't really making any contributions to the world anymore. I was so wrong! I wasn't losing myself just adding more to the package. I have been so blessed to be with my kids as they achieve each milestone of their development, instead of hearing about it second hand I am there. I am "paid" everytime they say 'I love you, mommy' or give me hugs and kisses. Watching them grow and learn is amazing. I know that I have the most important job in the world and that there is no greater contribution to the world than to be a devoted and loving parent. You'll see that too soon enough! :) Good luck, you guys will be great parents!

Amanda Fullerton said...

By the way, would you like some clothes? Feel free to say no, I won't be offended. I have some clothes that have hardly been worn (as most baby clothes) so if you would like some, let me know and I'll send them to you.

The Burnetts said...

Amanda,
We are actually pretty good in the clothes department. We bought a bunch at second hand stores. My sister cleaned out a yard sale, and I got mostly clothes at my two baby showers. Thanks, though!