Sunday, May 25, 2008

Kids are Silly!

So, Misty and I just got put in the Primary at our Church, and we are in charge of teaching the 6-7 year olds. We had 6 kids in our first class today. One of them, is a very shy girl, but very sweet. The other ones are as follows:

The 2 popular girls
The class clown
The shy boy
The well behaved boy
then the shy girl that I made reference to.

We were teaching today about the different things that God can answer our prayers with: "Yes," "No," and "Maybe Later." Our lesson compared it to much like our parents who want the best for us, but sometimes say "yes," sometimes "no," and sometimes "maybe."

We did a little exercise where we gave the kids a situation, and had them pretend that they were the parents, and they got to respond to their kids Yes, No, or Not now.

The scenario went like this. Your child comes to you before dinner is ready (you're almost done making it,) and says "Mom/Dad! I'm hungry, I really want an Ice Cream Bar!" Then you (as the pretend parent) have to say Yes, No, or Not Now.

All the kids answered that they would tell their pretend children either "No," or "After Dinner" because that kind of treat would ruin your dinner.

The class clown proceeded to tell the class, "Sometimes I have ice cream BEFORE AND AFTER dinner! I get to have it whenever I want!" (Which obviously he was saying to get attention, (his parents wouldn't really allow that) and to get a laugh out of all of the kids, which most of them piped up and gave him that attention.)

I was sitting next to the Shy Girl, while Misty was up teaching at the front of the class. The shy girl next to me, said, almost under her voice so that I could only hear.... "Spoiled."

It was everything I could do to keep from laughing out loud!!

After Church was over, I told Misty, and she laughed almost to tears.

I think we are going to like our class.

3 comments:

Camille said...

I taught the 4-5 year olds for over 5 years and they are a riot!!! Two of my favorites were this outspoken little girl and the most sincere little boy. Every time this little guy would get up to pray, he'd leave his eyes open and bless EVERYTHING he could see...chairs, windows, crayons...everything! So the little girl would start about 1 minute into his little prayer and say "Say Amen, all you gotta do is say Amen." By the end of his prayers she'd be yelling "JUST SAY AMEN!" Aparently his prayers were a little too long for her to sit through!
It just makes you laugh out how innocent they are and how unique their little personalities are! You'll love teaching them!!

Anonymous said...

We just started teaching the nine and ten-year-olds. It takes all my energy to refrain from sniffing the chalk and cutting my wrists with the edges of the pictures of Jesus each week. No, I'm kidding... or am I? Sherlyn taught the same age group in our previous ward, so she's used to it. Sometimes I wish I had my 14-year-olds back. At least they slept through the lesson... In the words of Jim Halpert, "Lord, beer me strength."

Alisa and Crowells said...

I LOVE primary!! There is never a dull moment! For mother's day, they let us sit in RS and I tell you what--I REALLY had to think deep and I'm not even kidding! :)